Gomeran-style tuna with pretty potatoes
The season of the Bigeye which is what we call around here Red tuna. The season was short lived, it is the scarce time in which the capture of this magnificent animal is allowed.
Bigeye It has become a gastronomic phenomenon and has taken on such relevance that it even has its own festival, this year the II Edition, in the Tegueste Market. I could not attend and I was very sorry.
Last week when I went to make the purchase I found some wonderful tuna loins and I couldn’t resist With that loin I have prepared this fantastic gomero style tuna which is delicious.
It is very easy to prepare and I am sure you will love the taste. The only trick this dish has is not to overdo the cooking of the tuna so it doesn’t get dry.
The ideal accompaniment are some wrinkled potatoes or “Boiled”.
And if you like these types of recipes, you will also love this other one «Loin of marinated bonito with sweet potatoes», a delight.
I love all these recipes of traditional cuisine that should never be missed. Although cuisine evolves and tastes change, there are always flavors that remain in our memory and that evoke fond memories of us, memories of family, friends, unforgettable moments, that’s why I love cooking cocina
Gomero-style tuna recipe
- 1/2 k tuna loin
- 3 biscuit bread wheels *
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 picona pepper *
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika from La Vera
- 100 g of extra virgin olive oil
How to do it:
- Cut the tuna loin In 2 or 3 large pieces, put them in a hole and cover it with water. Add a good squirt of vinegar and leave it for 1 or 2 hours to soak.
- Drain the tuna and cut it into big blocks of 3 or 4 cm. approx. In a pot you put the tuna cut, you cover it with water, add salt and a dash of vinegar and put it on the fire until the tuna is done. While the tuna is being cooked, remove the foam that remains on the surface of the water with a slotted spoon. Do not let it do too much so that it does not dry out, as soon as you see it white remove it from the fire, drain it and reserve it.
- Meanwhile we are doing the mojo. In a mortar put bread, 4 raw garlic cloves and 4 fried garlic cloves, 1/2 picona pepper, cumin and a pinch of Salt. Crush everything until there is a paste.
- Put the oil in a cauldron and add the crushed, let it fry lightly while stirring, then add the paprika, stir well.
- Add the tuna, a little water and a splash of vinegar, and leave it on the fire until it boils, a couple of minutes.