Composite peas recipe, a typical Canarian dish
Hello how is everything? perhaps dusting off the costumes, here we are in full swing carnival and everyone is crazy looking for a wig, an accessory or machining what to wear.
The truth is that it is very funny to see how much joy and fantasy people waste on the street 🙂 that’s why Tenerife Carnival It is so fabulous, because of how people live it.
Today I bring you another delicious and very easy to prepare dish, typical of Canarian gastronomy Compound peas or what is the same peas in sauce.
“Chickpeas” is what we call around here peas and “Composite” refers to a stew or sauce.
Actually the word “vetch” refers (in botany) to a plant herbaceous that belongs in its taxonomic classification in the fabaceae or legume family which in turn belongs to the genus of the bean and its seeds are edible, today better known as peas (Pisum sativum), in many places in South America and in this case in Canary Islands the old name is preserved.
I don’t know if you knew that the peas (peas) They’re a legume. They have a high content of plant-based proteins and are rich in vitamin C and B1, in addition to minerals such as phosphorous, potassium or calcium, and last but not least they have very few calories (about 80 Kcal. Per 100 grams), so they are perfect for a diet.
Although the cold here is conspicuous by its absence, as we are having the hottest winter I can remember in years, this is a winter plate to warm up especially if you add meat or Ham as it is in the original recipe.
I like more meatless, with a simple tomato sauce and accompanied by boiled eggs and chips it is a perfect dish.
If you want to see another version of this recipe, Loreto de Colorful flavors, a beautiful blog I’m a fan of, make this recipe with pork rib in the most traditional way, they are just as good.
I hope you like this recipe and that you tell me when you have prepared it. Anything you want to ask me, leave me a comment and I will reply as soon as I can in the same comments.
Enjoy your meal!
Compound peas recipe:
Ingredients for 4 people
- 800 g of crushed natural tomato (can be from a bottle) *
- 800 g of peas (fresh or frozen)
How to do it:
- Peel the garlic and onion and cut them into brunoise (in small squares).
- In a cauldron add 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil and add the chopped garlic until they begin to brown slightly, immediately add the chopped onion and let it simmer over low heat until well cooked.
- We then add the crushed tomato, oregano, sugar and salt to taste, we let the sauce go and when it starts to boil add the peas.
- We cook everything together until the peas are tender.
- We serve accompanied by a hard-boiled egg per person and some chips cut into squares.
* If you use packaged tomato You must take into account several things, first choose a quality brand, check the label, that the ingredients are all natural, that they use citric acid as a preservative and not others, and preferably packaged in glass. Even better if they are organic, keep in mind that tomatoes are one of the most polluted vegetables due to the amount of pesticides they use to grow them and that we usually take them with skin, which is where the waste accumulates the most.
I use crushed tomatoes from a bottle a lot because they are very comfortable for me, but only organic ones 😉 we must avoid preservatives and pesticides at all costs, they are very harmful to our health.