Hot cabbage salad in garlic
There is hardly a hot salad more emblematic in Galician cuisine than that of “cabbage with garlic”; This last term, which is used in other preparations (Galician octopus, hake or Galician turbot, etc.), is a sofrito basically made of garlic, but you can also add a little finely chopped onion, and fry in an oil that must be of very good quality; But, the essential of this dish, and of many more preparations of Galician cuisine, is the sweet paprika or de la Vera, a wonderful spice. As for cabbage, you have to take into account that it is a delicious vegetable but it needs one or two requirements: one must not be passed in the cooking and must not be watered down; The latter is very important, because it is what will contribute to obtaining a crispy and smooth cabbage; for which, it is necessary to cook it for a short time in very little water and always boiling, and drain it in such a way that there is not a drop of liquid; finally, the great flavor will give it the ability to know how to mix the ingredients for the garlic: fry the garlic (or onion) but remove them from the fire a little before they are golden brown because they will finish frying without fire; and finally, with the non-boiling oil, add the pepper to avoid burning and darkening. It is a totally homemade dish, cheap where they exist, and that alone or as an accompaniment to a pork chop or sausages is usually a success.
a cabbage or cabbage
4 or 5 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of oil
paprika to taste (1 or two teaspoons)
water to cook cabbage (a glass)
optional: potatoes (I always pour them)
1 or 2 boiled eggs
2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar; the latter puts the cabbage sweet and very tasty.
These amounts would be for three servings.
1. Wash the cabbage and two potatoes well; and When the water is boiling with a cube, the cabbage is put in a pressure cooker or in a normal saucepan. It must have little water so that it is the steam that cooks it.
2. You can do it in a pressure cooker or normal saucepan. With the first you will do it in a very short time, but it has the danger that it will overtake you. The trick is that as soon as the washers of the pot go up now you can turn it off and leave it in the pot until it is safe to open it; if it is a normal pot, it is easier to control the cooking because as soon as you see that it is cooked but not crispy, it drains well and that’s it. It is very important that the cabbage maintains its smoothness after cooking and is not watery. If the cabbage is passed in the cooking it is when the characteristic unpleasant smell of the cabbage appears. If you do it in a normal saucepan, it will not take more than 7 or 8 minutes from when it starts to boil. This is what the cooked vegetable should look like.
3. Now you put it on the drainer and in a few minutes it will be ready to add the garlic:
4. Fry the garlic in the oil, although you can also add a little onion in strips. When it is almost ready but not completely golden, turn off the heat and cool it down a bit and you can add the paprika. Be careful with the paprika because if the oil is very hot, it burns and darkens! Finally, you add a tablespoon of good vinegar that will give the end the sweet touch of the garlic.
5. Add the garlic to the saucepan and stir well, and then put it in a bowl with some chopped cooked eggs.
6. Truly cheap wonderful dish, which you can serve first, or as a garnish for meat or fish; the pork is doing very well, especially the chops.