20 Mar How to prepare almogrote, the pate gomero
How good is he almogrote! It is one of those creams that you start to spread on bread and you cannot stop, pure vice 🙂
The almogrote is a cream made from old cheese or cured cheese, garlic, hot pepper and oil. This cream is typical and originates from the island of La Gomera, also cooked as “The pate gomero”.
La Gomera It is the second smallest island in the archipelago, round with a devilish orography, impossible ravines and spectacular landscapes. The Columbian island, as it is also known, because it was here where Christopher Columbus last time before launching into the adventure of the discovery of The Americas.
Although I am a blood palm and it is in The Palm where I spent my childhood and adolescence, I was born in La Gomera, that’s why I have a special affection for him. The time we spent there was brief, my parents were living on the island when I was born, after a year and a half later my sister Maite was born, and soon after we went back to La Palma, where my brothers were born Twins. My parents were a bit nomadic at the time and we actually lived on all the islands.
As an adult I have visited La Gomera several times in tourism plan and I love it. Actually all islands They are beautiful and they all have something that makes them special and different from the rest, that’s why you have to know them all :-). The name of the lucky ones It is not in vain, it shows that I am proud, but who doesn’t How lucky to live here! as a famous brand says.
Going back to the recipe, the almogrote is considered a mojo, since the base is the same but to which cheese has been added. This is one of those wonderful recipes for harvesting, which was invented to take advantage of that hard cheese that you can hardly eat anymore.
The good thing about this recipe is that you can totally adapt it to your taste, in fact I adapted it so that the flavor was softer, if you follow my recipe you will have a almogrote with mild flavor. I don’t like that it has a strong flavor or garlic nor of hot spicy, so I’ve moderated it.
The cheese It is the fundamental ingredient in flavor, traditionally made with goat cheese from La Gomera cured or old cheese. Like everything, if you use good raw material it will show in the flavor, any cured goat cheese it will be fine but if it is Canary better 😉 I have already told you on other occasions the exceptional quality of the Canarian cheeses in any of its versions.
If you have never tried it, I recommend that you make my recipe as is, try it and from there you decide if you like stronger flavor or not.
I hope you like it and that you tell me what you think.
For about 200 or 250 g of almogrote
- 150 g of cured goat cheese
- 2 or 3 medium red tomatoes *
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 red hot pepper or 1/2 chilli
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika (optional)
How to do it:
- Wash the tomatoes, remove the peduncle, make two small cross cuts in the upper area. Peels garlic and put them on the baking sheet along with theTomatoesspray them with a splash of olive oil and if you want with a teaspoon of peppers*. Roast them in the oven for 25 or 30 min. at 200 grs.
- Meanwhile, peel off the cheese, You cut it into squares and grind it with a chopper or food processor, it also serves a fine grater if you don’t have a chopper, and reserve.
- Once roasted, take out tomatoes and garlic out of the oven and let them warm. Add them the minced cheese, the picona pepper, a choro of olive oil and Salt to taste, and blend with the mixer until a fine puree is obtained.
Notes and suggestions:
* The tomatoes they are optional, you can put them on or not. In my opinion they soften the flavor and texture and provide a more beautiful color.
* Paprika it is also optional, just like tomatoes it adds color and flavor.
* The almogrote It is perfect to serve with biscuit bread or with cute wrinkled potatoes, as an aperitif or as an accompaniment to a little fish.