Fried stuffed calzones Quick and easy recipe
Fried stuffed calzoni: fried calzoni have a special place in the cuisine of Southern Italy, in Puglia they are called fried panzerotti, very similar are also found in Sicily using the mixture of "Sicilian rotisserie". They can be stuffed in a thousand different ways, the classic Neapolitan version provides a stuffed with ricotta, pepper, salami and mozzarella. But very common are also those with stuffed with escarole, also delicious with ham and bechamel, in short, choose what you prefer!
Ingredients for 4-6 people
- 400 grams of flour 00
- 200 grams of Manitoba flour
- 5 grams of fresh brewer's yeast
- 150 grams of milk
- 200 grams of water (warm but not hot! At about 36 °)
- 20 grams of sugar
- 10 grams of salt
- 20 grams of sunflower oil
- peanut oil for frying
For the stuffing
- 500 gr of ricotta
- 300 gr of salami cut into cubes
- 300 grams of smoked cheese cut into cubes (or dry mozzarella, kept overnight in the fridge)
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
How to make fried stuffed calzone
- Arrange the flour as a fountain on a pastry board, make a hole in the center and add the brewer's yeast crumbled, lo sugar, the milk and thewater. Knead with your fingertips gradually bringing the flour from the edges towards the center. When the dough looks like a sticky cream, add salt and oil. Knead again incorporating all the flour.
- The dough should be worked for about ten minutes, until it forms a smooth dough, if it is still sticky, add only a veil of flour on the work surface, without exaggerating otherwise the fried calzones will be too hard. In any case, the excessive humidity will dry up during the leavening.
- Then let the dough rise in a large bowl, with a veil of flour below and above. Make a cross cut with a smooth blade knife, cover with cling film and a damp cloth. Let it rise for about 2-3 hours it should double its volume, the time depends on the outside temperature. You can put the bowl in the oven off with only the oven light on.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling: cut the salami and the scamorza cheese/ diced mozzarella, put the ricotta cheese in a small bowl and add pepper and Parmesan grated. Add the salami and mozzarella to the ricotta
- Once it has risen, just flour the pastry board and pour the dough. roll out the dough with a rolling pin at 1/2 cm (half a centimeter) thick.
- Cut the dough with a large pastry cutter (or with a small bowl) to form some discs of about 5-6 cm. Stuff by placing a generous spoonful of filling in the center and close in a half moon shape, pressing the edges well with your fingers or the prongs of a fork.
- Let the trousers rise covered with a cloth for at least 40 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan with high sides, fry a few trousers at a time, at an oil temperature of about 180 °, until golden brown.
- Then arrange them on absorbent paper and add salt and serve hot!
- And here are yours Fried stuffed calzoni (or Apulian panzerotti)
Read also Carnival recipes
WINE PAIRING: Villa Raiano Fiano di Avellino Docg "alimata" (for wine pairings read here: Food / Wine pairings from southern Italy
Enjoy your meal!