Pasta and lentils traditional simple and quick recipe
Neapolitan-style pasta and lentils , a tastier way to prepare legumes. There Pasta and lentils is a winter and tasty first course typical of southern Italian cuisine. Lentils are a dish rich in protein so much so that they have always been considered the "Meat of the poor"; they are very digestible, cholesterol-free, rich in iron, phosphorus and B vitamins. From a nutritional point of view, 100 grams of lentils equal to 215 grams of meat, and for a greater absorption of proteins the ideal is to consume them together with cereals such as rice, pasta and bread.
Other first courses with legumes: pasta and chickpeas, rice and beans, pasta and beans
Ingredients for 2 people
- 200 gr of lentils dried
- mixed for sauté (1/2 stick of celery, 1/2 carrot, 1/2 onion)
- 2 tablespoons of oil extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove ofgarlic
- 2 teaspoons of tomato concentrate (or 3 Cherry tomatoes datterini)
- 30 grams of bacon cut into cubes (optional)
- 150 gr of pasta short or broken spaghetti
How to make Pasta and lentils
Put the oil, the garlic clove and the mixture for sautéing (celery, carrot and onion cut into small cubes) in a large pot (it must also contain the pasta later).
Let the oil heat up and sizzle slightly and add the tomato paste and the diced bacon (flame over medium heat)
add the lentils previously rinsed under running water, let them flavor
cover the lentils with water, cover the pot with the lid and let it cook for 30 minutes over low heat, check from time to time if you need more water
at this point we can proceed in two ways:
- cook the pasta separately and drain it a few minutes before the cooking time indicated on the package, complete the cooking by adding the pasta to the pot of lentils and if you need a little water, one ladle at a time.
- or we cook the pasta directly in the pot that already contains the lentils, obviously you have to add a little water, bring it to a boil and add the pasta.
The difference is that the first method will leave the pasta more loose and soupy, in the second case the pasta will be creamier thanks to the starch of the pasta.
And your pasta and lentils are ready.
WINE PAIRING: The recommended wine to pair with is a Oltrepò Pavese Barbera Doc.
In this blog for wine pairings I have consulted the site most often:www.bodegasdevino.org
Enjoy your meal!